Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sunshine Cleaning

Hello people of the interweb! Today in the mail I got a Netflix film entitled "Sunshine Cleaning".  My mother and I have been wanting to see this movie for a while so we watched it! Here's what I thought:

Title: Sunshine Cleaning
Director: Christine Jeffs
Starring: Amy Adams, Emily Blunt
Genre: Dramedy
Length: 91 min
MPAA Rating: R
IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862846/

Summary: Financially on shaky ground yet determined to send her son to a top private school, Rose Lorkowski (Amy Adams) teams up with her unreliable sister, Norah (Emily Blunt), to start a new company that specializes in biohazard removal and crime scene cleanup.  Tired of doing all of the work for other people, whether in her job cleaning homes or in her failed relationships, Rose is finally ready to use her entrepreneurial spirit to tidy up her own life.

My Review: This movie was a very good film.  It was alot darker than expected from previews and other things yet it exceded my expectations in the comedy and drama department.  I thought this film was Amy Adams second best peice of work I've seen her in (next to the Academy Award nominated "Doubt" which I highly reccommend).  I also found that Emily Blunt's acting also exeeded my expectations. She did a wonderful job in the film "The Devil Wears Prada" (which I also reccommend) but I really saw her true potential "shine" in this film.  She did a wonderful job being the hilarious and yet terribly troubled little sister Nora.  It was a very enjoyable experience seeing her play such a different and darker and more troubled character then her character in "The Devil Wears Prada".  It was quite a suprise and I really felt bad for her during the conclusion to the mysterious and hopeful sub-plot of the film where she tries to connect with a woman who had gone through what Nora thinks is nearly the same horrible experience she went through as a child.

I would also like to add that Alan Arkin did a great job in the supporting role as Rose and Nora's father.  And the little boy (Jason Spevack) did an outstanding job as Rose's son, Oscar.

This film was very charcter driven and had a climax that was shocking. After the climax (which I cannot tell you about because I like to keep things spoiler free) Rose and Nora are broken apart after so much bonding through the cleaning service which serves as an emotional therapy for both of them and the near end scene brings them back together in a very special way.

There are no downsides to this dark comedy and it was a very great piece of art.

Final Note: Sunshine Cleaning was a terrific film showing great morals and themes alike.
Do I Reccommend It?: You should definitley get Sunshine Cleaning from Blockbuster or Netflix or even buy the DVD because it was great.

Grade: A

1 comment:

  1. SOLD! I will rent this movie soon and let you know my take on it. Thanks for the tip. I always like a good, character driven film.

    ReplyDelete